WHEEL WORKS GARDEN GROVE - WHEEL WORKS
WHEEL WORKS GARDEN GROVE - PACIFICA POTTERY WHEELS.
Wheel Works Garden Grove
- A city in southwestern California, southeast of Los Angeles; pop. 143,050
- There are at least three places in the United States named Garden Grove: * Garden Grove, California * Garden Grove, Iowa * Garden Grove, Florida
- A circular object that revolves on an axle and is fixed below a vehicle or other object to enable it to move easily over the ground
- a simple machine consisting of a circular frame with spokes (or a solid disc) that can rotate on a shaft or axle (as in vehicles or other machines)
- change directions as if revolving on a pivot; "They wheeled their horses around and left"
- A circular object that revolves on an axle and forms part of a machine
- Used in reference to the cycle of a specified condition or set of events
- plant: buildings for carrying on industrial labor; "they built a large plant to manufacture automobiles"
- performance of moral or religious acts; "salvation by deeds"; "the reward for good works"
- whole shebang: everything available; usually preceded by `the'; "we saw the whole shebang"; "a hotdog with the works"; "we took on the whole caboodle"; "for $10 you get the full treatment"
- Activity involving mental or physical effort done in order to achieve a purpose or result
- Such activity as a means of earning income; employment
- A place or premises for industrial activity, typically manufacturing
The magnificent parks and gardens owned by English Heritage are far less well known than its evocative medieval abbeys or Victorian mansions. Yet these remarkable places offer a fantastic variety of outdoor pleasures. Some have stunning designs, while others are important for their history or their plants. A surprising number are brand new, and a few of the best are tiny. All are marvelously atmospheric testaments to the art of horticulture. English Arcadia reveals 25 of the best. Readers delight at homey Osborne, complete with charming vegetable plots for the royal children, then they marvel at the exotic Quarry Garden at Belsay Hall and appreciate the modern restraint of the Contemporary Heritage Scheme. These gardens from every corner of England and almost every century of the nation’s history are joined by essays that tell the story of how each was created and the sometimes eccentric families that owned them. Rounding out this marvelous resource is a look at the decay that the trees, fountains, and statues often fall prey to ? and the way they’ve been restored to delight viewers today.
John E. Holmes
Co. B, 154th ILL. Infantry
Photo provided by Kathleen Dankanyin
Pg. 115 thru 117, “A Biographical History of Central Kansas, Illustrated Embellished with Portraits of Many Well-Known People of this Section of the Great West, who have been or are Prominent in its History and Development Volume I, The Lewis Publishing Company, 1902.
JOHN E. HOLMES
John E. Holmes, a retired farmer of Hutchinson, was born in Bradford, Yorkshire, England, March 3, 1847. His father, Edward Holmes, was born in Northumberland, England, in 1813, and was a miller by trade. The latter came to America with his family when our subject was nine years of age, the voyage being made on the sailing vessel, Frances P. Sage, and during the trip severe storms and contrary winds were encountered and they were beaten back several hundred miles. At one time, when the storm was at its height, the passengers were locked in the hold and immense waves swept over the deck. After six weeks spent upon the ocean the passengers were finally landed at Castle Garden, and from that place Mr. Holmes made his way to Macoupin county, Illinois, where he secured employment with N. Howard, a prominent miller of that place, with whom he remained for two or three years. He then removed about five miles into the country, purchasing what was known as the Boggis grist and saw mill, together with about five acres of land on which his family resided while he engaged in the operation of the mill. After about two years thus spent he sold his property there and removed to Alton, Illinois, where for the following two or three years he was employed as a miller by the Schuyler Distillery Company, going thence to Jersey county, Illinois, where for three or four years he worked in the Haycroft & Herdman mill at Fidelity. Mr. Holmes’ next location was at Jerseyville, in Jersey county, Illinois, where he was employed in a large mill until 1865, when he removed to Greene county, that state, and purchased a mill on Macoupin creek, which was operated by water power. There Mr. Holmes spent the remainder of his life, passing away in the fall of 1865. In political matters he gave his support to the Democratic party.
In England, his native country, he was united in marriage to Mary A. Fox, who was born near Leeds, England. Her father, who was also a miller by occupation, met his death while oiling machinery, his neckerchief having caught in the machinery and he was drawn into the wheels and crushed to death. After his death his widow came to America, and her death occurred in Jersey county, Illinois, in 1853. The mother of our subject is still living, and now makes her home at Springfield, Illinois, having reached the ripe old age of eighty-two years. Unto this worthy couple were born nine children, namely; Jane, the wife of Matthew Wilkinson, a retired miller of Alton, Illinois; Alfred, a prominent farmer of Reno county, Kansas; Susanna, the wife of Manning F. Price, a carpenter of Springfield, Illinois; Edward and a sister, both of whom died in England in childhood; John E., the subject of this review; William H., a retired farmer of Hutchinson, Kansas; Phoebe, wife of George Parker, a sawyer of Alton, Illinois; and Mary, widow of Ralph Smith, and a resident of Sterling, Kansas.
John E. Holmes received his early education in the schools of his native land, and after coming to this country he attended school at Fidelity and Alton, Illinois. When only about fifteen years of age, however, he laid aside his text books in order to assist his father in the mill and on the farm, and he also drove a coal and flour wagon. At the time of the Civil war our subject was but seventeen years of age, but he valiantly offered his service in the protection of the stars and stripes, becoming a member of Company B, One Hundred and Fifty-fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and in the spring of 1863 was sent to Fort Rosecrans, located on the battlefield of Stone River, where he did garrison duty until the following July or August. Between Louisville and Nashville, while on his way to the front and while traveling on a freight car, he was shot from ambush, the ball grazing his lip. He would have fallen between the cars and probably have been killed but for the brave act of his comrade, John McGee, who saved him from the fall. He was sent to Tullahoma, Tennessee, thence to Nashville, and at the last named place he was taken sick and was confined in the hospital for several weeks. He has never fully recovered from the exposure and hardships endured during his army career, and has ever since been disqualified from performing active work. Receiving his discharge at Nashville, Tennessee, in the fall of 1865, he was mustered out of service at Springfield, Illinois, and returned to his home in Greene county, that state, near Carrollton, but his home-coming was attended by a sad event, as his father passed away in death only two weeks after his arrival. In the following spring our sub
Sally Starr & Ed Sciaky 1959
ne nice day in 1959, Broadcast Pioneers member Ed Sciaky and his mom took one of the Wilson Line cruise ships down the Delaware River to Riverview Beach Park in Pennsville, New Jersey. During their time at the park, they ran into Sally Starr who was making an appearance at her "Frontier Land."
Riverview Beach Park was located adjacent to the Delaware River on the eastern side of the waterway in Pennsville, New Jersey in the northwest corner of Salem County. It was on Route 49 (Broadway Avenue), just south of the Delaware Memorial Bridge (U.S. Interstate 295) which connects New Jersey to Wilmington, Delaware. By the way, it is the southernmost bridge on the Delaware River. Pennsville is across the river from New Castle, Delaware.
The site is now used as a picnic area for neighboring residents, but at one time it was a well known amusement park. Originally called, "The Silver Grove Picnic Grounds," it was founded in 1883, a time when most amusement parks were started. It was part of the "Silver Grove Hotel." Visitors could have purchased ice cream and other goodies and eat under a large covered pavilion. It was a place where concerts, festivals and other activities were held.
In 1889, at an annual farmer's gathering, they installed a merry-go-round which was run by human beings pushing it. The next year, it became horse powered. In 1891, it was enlarged to include the merry-go-round which had become a permanent fixture. They also added swings, picnic tables, a dance area and later a place for silent motion pictures.
1914 saw the park being retitled, "Riverview Beach." In reality, Riverview Beach never did have much of a beach area but more for boats. In 1922, it was renamed "the Riverview Beach Amusement Park." During that year, the park again added space by buying up a adjoining 30 acre farm. At that time, they added a slide, waterslide, toy hanging airplanes and a small Ferris wheel. In the mid twenties, there was a "Pig Slide" where a porker was sent down a slide into a pit of mud.
During the Great Depression (1936), an Olympic sized swimming pool was added as part of a public works program. It held a half million gallons of water and was built with a budget of $150,000, paid for by the federal government.
After World War II, many people took advantage of the huge excursion ships of Wilson Line which had been in business for a century or so. These boats ferried 800 passengers from Philadelphia to the park by traveling down the Delaware River to the now called "Riverview Beach Park." It was a short trip, about 34 miles and took about 75 minutes each direction. The company ran two ships; one was the SS Liberty Belle and the other was the SS Delaware Belle.
The park's roller coaster was called, "the Hummingbird." It was a wooden one referred to as an "out and back" model and was built in 1922 by Miller & Baker. Later, an additional one was added and called, "the Wildcat." There was also one called "The Deep Dipper." Other rides included an enlarged Ferris wheel, a caterpillar ride, a whip, battery powered racing car, a small railroad, pony rides and for awhile, zebra rides.
The park also had a miniature edition of a Mississippi showboat which ran on a large lake. You could also rent rowboats. The lake contained several small islands with various flower gardens. It had footbridges between the islands. It also contained a skating pavilion which featured roller skating.
The park also had a nice ballroom where weekly dances were held. Some Friday evenings, there were fireworks launched from the wharf or a barge nearby.
For several years in the late fifties and early sixties, TV legend Sally Starr, "Our Gal Sal" performed at the park with "Pal," her horse. That section of Riverview was called, "Frontierland." Sally has said, "It was one of the most beautiful places and times in my life."
During 1961, Wilson Lines decided to stop its ferry service. Now one had to travel by automobile or public transportation. In 1966, a terrible fire destroyed one of the roller coasters and their old mill. The park continued running but without on the roller coaster, which was never rebuilt. The next year, 1967, the park closed. 1968 saw the property transferred with the rides be dismantled and sold off to the highest bidder.
Now, this 63 acre area (about six blocks by four blocks) is a picnic park owned by the Township of Pennsville. It has no rides or amusements. Most of the lake still exists and a small, but nice children's playground was erected along with tennis courts, an old fasioned gazebo and a water fountain display. The "Riverview Beach Park" archway still straddles the entrance to the park from Route 49.
From the official archives of the Broadcast Pioneers of Philadelphia
1959 Photo originally donated by Broadcast Pioneers member Ed Sciaky
sometimes i feel like i am drunk behind the wheel
jk wheel spacers
panther wheel center caps
replacing wheel studs
world industries skateboard wheels
lil quad power wheels
enkei motorcycle wheels
john deere wheel weights